Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Just Can't Go




After all of the planning, and being right in the middle of the boat purchase, we can't go.  I had a cardiologist appointment the day after the boat survey and my cardiologist told me he needed to do a cardiac catheterization to see what was going on with me.  He said if I needed a stint it could be placed during the procedure.  I scheduled it for a few days later so I could get it out of the way.  I had a stint placed before (9 years ago), so I knew the recovery was not a big deal, so we should be able to get on with our boat plans with the delay of a few more days.

On the day of the procedure it was discovered that I had a 99% blockage in one coronary artery, and 95% in another.  A third artery was fully blocked, which I knew from 9 years ago, but I had never had a heart attack because the artery had grown new circulation around the blockage which took over once the artery was fully blocked.  I needed bypass surgery, in fact the cardiologist told Sharon that I shouldn't be alive.  They were wondering how I managed to walk in under my own power.

The next day I had a triple bypass, the surgeon bypassed the new blockages and "while he was in there" also bypassed the old blockage for good measure.  That was three weeks ago today, and the doctors say I am doing very well, in fact I am at least two weeks ahead of a normal recovery schedule, but I still have to spend months recovering and undergo cardiac rehab.  We let the boat owner and broker know we had to pull out of the deal, even if it meant losing our deposit.  The future was just too uncertain to commit to the boat and then dealing with taking care of it on top of everything else.

We were planning to attend the AGLCA seminar in Charleston, SC on November 8th, but had to cancel that as well.

The good news is that the owner of the boat we were trying to buy has decided to just winterize where it is near Baltimore and not keep it on the market for the winter.  If I am up to it in the Spring he will apply "most" (!?) of our deposit to the purchase price and conclude the sale if we are willing.

I'm hoping I'll be up to it.  Stay tuned.


1 comment :

  1. We quit or jobs to Just Go! Consider leaving from Baltimore in the spring and cruise the Chesapeake as your shakedown, then north from there..

    ReplyDelete