Saturday, January 31, 2015

Building Our Wings



“If we listened to our intellect we'd never have a love affair. We'd never have a friendship. We'd never go in business because we'd be cynical: "It's gonna go wrong." Or "She's going to hurt me." Or,"I've had a couple of bad love affairs, so therefore . . ." Well, that's nonsense. You're going to miss life. You've got to jump off the cliff all the time and build your wings on the way down.”

― Ray Bradbury


This quote hung on the wall above my desk the whole time I was in business.  It just came to mind again because Sharon and I are getting ready to jump off the cliff and build our wings.

At the end of October I had to have triple bypass surgery.  It threw a real wrench into our boat purchase and cruising plans.  Due to the uncertainty of my outcome we had to back out of the contract we had just negotiated to purchase the PDQ MV-34 Powercat.

While staying with me in the hospital Sharon aggravated a back condition and after consulting with multiple doctors it was determined that she needed spinal fusion surgery.  It's now late January and she has had the surgery and is making steady progress.  Her doctor says she can go cruising within a couple of months.  I have apparently recovered well ahead of the curve for my bypass surgery and my doctors say I can do anything I want.

Luckily it turns out the boat we had contracted to purchase back in October is still available and the owner and broker have agreed to extend the original contract, so we are going ahead with the purchase as planned!   After all of this we decided to come up with a new name for the boat, but I'll leave the blog name the same for now.  The new boat name?


"Building Our Wings"

Once she comes out of storage in April we'll bring her from Baltimore to Hampton, VA and outfit her for some shorter Chesapeake Bay cruises this summer, and perhaps up to Cape May, NJ.  If all goes well we'll plan to head south in the fall.  Hopefully our major health issues are behind us and we can Just Go!  Wish us luck!





No comments :

Post a Comment