Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Beaufort, SC - Day 206 - 209

April 6-9, 2016
Day 206-209

When we arrived at Thunderbolt Marina yesterday one of the first things that Jake and Kimi found out was that there was a feral cat population at the marina.  This drove them crazy.  When I took them for a walk we walked near a trailer that was a few inches off of the ground.  Before I even realized it Kimi's head and shoulders were under the small gap and when I pulled her out with the leash I found out she had a mouthful of cat.  She let go when I pulled her out but the cat's paw kept snaking out from under the trailer trying to scratch her.  Later that evening while the dogs were spending some time out on the deck of the boat, Sharon noticed that Kimi was running back and forth whining.  When she went out to see why she found that Jake was gone.  Apparently he decided to go cat hunting on his own.  Luckily he was easy to find since Sharon knew where the cats lived and we got him back in short order.

In the morning, the plumber knocked on our hull about 10:00am and came aboard to start work on the pump.  I showed him around, gave him the replacement pump and explained what needed to be done.   I then went with Sharon to carry the dirty laundry to the laundry room.  When I came back I found the plumber frantically trying to stop water from running into the boat.  He was having no success stopping the flow after he had taken the old pump loose.  I realized he had neglected to shut off the water hose I had hooked up to the boat to pressurize the water system last night since we had no water pump.  I went out to the dock and shut off the water and the flow stopped.  After bailing out the water from the pump compartment everything went smoothly from there.  After the pump was installed I bailed out an additional 40 gallons of water from the bilge and we were ready.

By the time the water pump was replaced and we fueled up and pumped out it was already 2:30 pm.  We headed off to Beaufort, SC and after a windy and choppy crossing of Port Royal Sound, we arrived about 6:00pm as the City marina was closing.  We tied up and wound up staying for three more nights while waiting for gale force winds to die down so we could continue to Charleston.  We reprovisioned using the marina's courtesy car, walked around the town, saw some pretty sunsets, and one evening had docktails with some folks we met who lived near us in Virginia.   We were all stuck waiting on the wind.




No comments :

Post a Comment